As temperatures soar and residents are on vacation-mode, keep in mind these best practices for air conditioning use to keep cool in the heat this summer:
- Do not turn the system off during the day. The system will work harder and longer to recover the air temp and humidity levels.
- Ideal use of energy and cooling capability requires a set point of 74-77 degrees. Setting the system to 65 or 60 will not make it blow colder air. It will simply run longer and increase the chance of system failure. 60 degrees simply cannot be achieved on a 95 degree day.
- Make use of window coverings and blinds during the day. The sun shining through your windows will work against the air conditioner. If you have blinds, point the blades facing exterior and down so a high sun does not come through the slats.
- Make sure all vents are open and unobstructed. Cooling requires the free movement of air through all vents.
- Make use of ceiling fans and oscillating type fans to increase air circulation.
- Make sure all windows and doors are closed.
Not only will these tips for AC use keep you cool this summer, but also will help to reduce the chance of breakdown and save you money on your electric bill.
Enjoy the summer, Residents of ResideBPG – and STAY COOL!